At APTUTORING we love working with primary aged students to support their learning and help them develop skills that will form a solid foundation for later learning. We are also fortunate to have primary school teachers with specialist skills meaning that we provide tuition to all students no matter what their background. You can read more about our individual primary tuition, but here’s a quick snapshot of the primary level tuition we provide:
- Consolidating core Literacy and Numeracy areas using the F-10 Curriculum).
- Additional support for students with diagnosed and undiagnosed learning difficulties.
- Providing tailored scholarship preparation for selective schools entry.
- Home-school Literacy and Numeracy support.
So, you’ve made the decision to have your primary school student tutored with APTUTORING, and now you’re wondering how to encourage your child to get the best out of their sessions. Well, read on for our top 5 tips!
We consulted the ‘experts’ on this topic, our awesome primary tutors — who else would have the best tips, right?!
1. Encourage your child to be prepared for their session by:
- Having an early night the day before tuition will help them better concentrate after a full school day.
- Having a snack, drink & getting some fresh air outside before tuition starts will help with mental alertness. If your child has a session immediately upon arriving home from school or an extracurricular activity then we encourage them to have a snack and drink during their session!
- Ensuring they have located their tuition workbook/worksheets, pencil case and completed homework before their tutor arrives.
2. Encourage your child to complete any homework tasks set by their tutor. We don’t routinely set homework, opting for meaningful tasks that consolidate instead. These tasks help your child to process content between sessions so they get the most out of each session.
3. Help your child to stay engaged with their learning and tuition by incorporating learning into life. So, if you are having English tuition, try and read daily with your child to support their skills and instil a love of reading. If you are having Maths tuition, encourage your child to practice their timetables during the week to support their maths skills and number facts knowledge. Remember to keep it fun!
4. Encourage your child to take responsibility for their own learning from a young age by asking them to write down questions for their tutor before their session.
- They might have questions to help them with school work, or to clarify a topic from the previous session. It might be a question about their tuition homework.
- Encouraging your child to take this initiative will not only grow their confidence but help them to problem solve and think about what would be most helpful to them.
5. Stay Connected. Okay parents, this one is really for you!
- Be curious about what is working for your child in tuition and the strategies your tutor is using to help your child.
- Ask questions when you need to at the beginning of a session giving your child’s tutor time to respond accordingly.
- Communicate with your tutor and APTUTORING regarding sessions and your child’s progress. We are here to help and only a phone call (03 9707 2761) or email away (firstname.lastname@example.org).
So, there you have it, our Top 5 Tips to help your child get the best from their primary tuition! As always, comment below, drop us an email or connect with us via Facebook to let us know what you think about our blog and what you’d like to read about next.
Until then, happy learning!